The Process Dashboard is an existing PSP(SM) support tool. It was originally developed in 1998 by the United States Air Force, and has continued to evolve under the open-source model. It is freely available for download under the conditions of the GNU Public License. The Process Dashboard supports:
* Data Collection - Time, defects, size; plan vs. actual data
* Planning - Integrated scripts, templates, forms, and summaries, PROBE, earned value
* Tracking - Powerful earned value support
* Data Analysis - Charts and reports aid in the analysis of historical data trends.
* Data Export - Export data into Excel, or export data to text format for use with external tools.
The major strengths of the Process Dashboard are:
* Ease of use
o Optimizes ease of collecting the most commonly performed metrics (time and defects)
o Other process aids (scripts, forms, templates, and summaries) are just a mouse-click away
o Its small onscreen footprint allows the tool to coexist with integrated development environments
o Tasks are arranged hierarchically, mirroring project work-breakdown structure
* Flexibility / extensibility
o New processes and new types of data can be added without programming
o Process scripts, templates, forms and summaries are HTML, and can therefore be created with any HTML editor
* Platform independence
o 100% Java implementation runs on Windows, Unix, Linux, Macintosh, etc.
o Since the tool is open-source, it is distributed at no cost. Furthermore, it does not rely upon any commercially licensed software, so you don't need to purchase any software to use the dashboard.